The Rippey Awards
Ron Rippey won the 2006 National Handicapping Championship in addition to qualifying with wins in 10 other prestigious challenges. With his contributions towards the BRISnet.com Spotlight Selections, Newark Star-Ledger and his regular visit to the handicapping circuit, Ron became a friend to many regular faces along his handicapping trek.
Ed DeRosa, Director of Marketing for BRIS, celebrated Ron’s infectious enthusiasm for playing the racing game “Ron would want to beat you, but also ensure you were having fun too.”
The award is traditionally presented at the National Turf Writers And Broadcasters (NTWAB) dinner each year to honor the best article, blog post or multimedia presentation of handicapping topics published online, or in print, over the course of a year. An additional goal of the Rippey Awards is to further the production of quality content on money management, use of proprietary data, (in)famous handicappers, general essays and more. The Rippey Award sweetens the deal by offering a $1,000 cash prize to the winner.
Each year there is an open window for submissions to be entered for consideration. Watch for the date to be released around the beginning of fall annually and submit your published work (and/or a link) to RippeyAward[at]Brisnet.com.
The 2018 Ron Rippey Award nomination period is now open and closes Tuesday, Oct. 2. Submissions should have a creation date between Sep. 1, 2017 and Sep 23, 2018.
Past Winners of the Ron Rippey Award
- 2017 Michael Spector, “2017 Kentucky Derby Pace Thesis”
- 2016 David Hill: “How a Vegas Sports Betting Legend Spends Horse Racing’s Biggest Weekend”
- 2015 Joe Nevills: “Kentucky Derby 2015: Who is bred for Derby Distance?”
- 2014 Barry Meadow: “Statistics & Garbage”
BRISnet Archive of Ron Rippey Award Stories:
- Ron Rippey Handicapping Media Award Open For Entries (9/25/2018)
- Racing Dudes’ Spector Wins Rippey Award for Derby Pace Analysis (10/6/2017)
- Fourth-Annual Ron Rippey Handicapping Award Accepting Entries (9/19/2017)
- Nevills wins second annual Rippey Award for Handicapping Media (10/16/2015)
- Meadow wins inaugural Rippey Award for Handicapping Media (10/10/2014)
- Ron Rippey Award to honor excellence in handicapping media (9/23/2014)
- Rippey wins DRF/NTRA Championship (1/30/2006)