Visit Our CDI Partners

Pletcher undecided about next starts for Verrazano, Palace Malice

Last updated: 8/25/13 5:21 PM

Pletcher undecided about next starts for Verrazano, Palace

Malice

Verrazano (inside), seen here working two weeks ago, was unable to factor in the Travers as the 8-5 favorite

(NYRA/Adam Coglianese Photography)

Trainer Todd Pletcher reported Sunday morning that favorite Verrazano and second-choice Palace Malice returned from their

respective seventh- and fourth-place finishes in Saturday's Grade 1, $1 million

Travers at Saratoga good order, and that a decision

on their next starts would not be forthcoming for a few days.

"We're disappointed," Pletcher acknowledged. "Any time after a race, you

don't only look at that race but their entire body of work. As far as their next

starts, we have no firm plans. We'll wait a few days and talk it over with Mr.

(Cot) Campbell and the other connections before we make any decisions."

While Palace Malice wound up beaten less than a length

after stumbling at the start, Pletcher could offer no excuse for Verrazano,

winner of the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct and Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park.

"(Verrazano) is still six-for-eight and a multiple Grade 1

winner," he said of the More Than Ready colt. "We're disappointed in yesterday's

performance but we're not disappointed in the horse.

"I can't offer much excuse. I thought he was in a very good tactical

position. (But) when Johnny (Velazquez) needed him to start picking it up around

the half-mile pole, he just didn't have the response we were looking for.

"(With Palace Malice), we weren't planning on being last

going into the first turn behind a dawdling pace," he said of the Belmont Stakes and Jim Dandy winner.

"I thought he had a winning race in him. Unfortunately, the start did not go

well. Once that happened we were in a completely different spot than we

anticipated being.

Palace Malice's bad break may have cost him a better placing in the Travers

(NYRA/Adam Coglianese Photography)

"Unfortunately, he came up a length short. For a number of reasons, the bad

start was compromising. When you tack on the fact they didn't go very fast up

front, I thought he ran a great race, considering all that."

The Pletcher barn was far from empty-handed Saturday, as

Capo Bastone took advantage of torrid early fractions and came from 10th to

upset the Grade 1, $500,000 King's Bishop at 28-1.

"We were hoping we would get a favorable pace set-up,"

Pletcher remarked. "We felt like the horse was training very well into it. Based

on the strength of his training, we thought we'd take a shot, and it worked

out."

The trainer wasn't sitting on his laurels Sunday, sending out a contingent of

workers over Saratoga's fast main track worktab. Among those hitting the track were 2012

champion two-year-old male Shanghai Bobby, who clocked five

furlongs in 1:00 4/5 in company with Graydar, who hasn't competed since taking

the Donn Handicap in February and the New Orleans Handicap in late March. Also

posting a move was Whitney Invitational

Handicap winner Cross Traffic, who went a half-mile in :48.

"Shanghai continues to go great," Pletcher said. "We're still a

month or so away, but I like what we're seeing so far. He's coming back and

getting fit a week or so ahead of what we anticipated. We're really pleased with

him and happy to have him back.

"Cross Traffic also went well," he added. "We'll make a decision tomorrow or

the next day on whether he'll run in the (Grade 1, $750,000) Woodward (on

Saturday)."

Bet Horseracing Free Online at TwinSpires.com

FEATURED PRODUCTS

ADVERTISEMENT